Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

NCSAM 2011 has concluded...What's next?

From: Nicole Kegler <nk278 () GEORGETOWN EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:41:40 -0400

Greetings everyone!

National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) 2011 has just concluded so, what's next?

First, we would like to say thank you to the higher education community for another successful celebration of NCSAM! It was wonderful to hear about the fun activities and events taking place on campuses around the world.

Although NCSAM ended yesterday, we hope that campuses will continue to educate and train students, staff, and faculty on the importance of security awareness throughout the year. We heard from many institutions about their plans during the month of October. See what events took place by visiting our NCSAM Resource Kit: http://tinyurl.com/NCSAMresourcekit

If your event is not yet listed on the website, please share your event URL or a brief description of your NCSAM-related initiatives, as well as any outcomes (expected or unexpected), with the participants on this discussion list. Or, if you prefer, send an e-mail to security-council () educause edu <mailto:security-council () educause edu>.

We also received new submissions for the Cybersecurity Awareness Resource Library -- http://tinyurl.com/NCSAMresourcekit

Perhaps these creative contributions will inspire you to develop fresh materials for NCSAM 2012!

And remember -- in addition to NCSAM next October -- we hope that campuses will consider observing and promoting Data Privacy Day on January 28, 2012. EDUCAUSE will kick off Data Privacy Day with a webinar on January 4, 2012, so save the date!

Finally, we would like to thank the National Cyber Security Alliance, http://www.staysafeonline.org/ncsam, and the Department of Homeland Security, http://www.dhs.gov/files/events/stop-think-connect.shtm, for helping campuses promote NCSAM throughout the month of October.

Nicole Kegler and Ben Woelk
Co-Chairs, Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) Awareness & Training Working Group

--
Nicole Kegler
Co-Chair, Awareness and Training Working Group

Communications Manager
Information Security Office
Georgetown University
202-687-5784