Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you allow Spotify?

From: Robert Lau <rslau () USC EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:53:33 -0700

According to Spotify's presentation to the IETF in 2009, A Glance at
Spotify's Peer-to-peer Streaming
<http://www.ietf.org/meeting/75/p2p-presentations/documents/spotify-gunnar-k
reitz.pdf>  (pdf), Spotify streams from multiple sources:
1. Spotify's servers
2. P2P network
3. CDN
I do not think Spotify's architecture has changed since then, so when
Spotify is streaming from, or distributing to, peers, its network behavior
is similar to other P2P clients ­ multiple simultaneous connections.

-robert