Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Infringement Handling

From: Ed Zawacki <edz () UIC EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:02:19 -0500

On 9/15/2011 5:53 PM, Adrian Teo wrote:
Agreed.

I built a small homegrown script to help us automate DMCA Infringement
handling. Out of this I learned a lot, and this is just by looking the
DMCA reporting/notice system used by the copyright enforcers.

Ditto on the homegrown script....must be a lot of those out there :)

 1. We get a ton of false positives. This includes mismatched
    IP/timestamps etc.

I agree on the timestamps. Our script first checks the flow file for the
given timestamp. If that fails it will check +/- 15 minutes.

 1. As Matt mentioned, a ton of the DMCA notices are for IP's outside
    our networks (i.e. Not even from our university network!!)

We have never received a notice for a ip outside of our range.

 1. DMCA complaints have to be worded a certain way for them to be
    legally binding. Some "smart" enforcers have changed the wording
    of the complaint and that raises red flags making the notices
    invalid.
 2. The enforcers seem to gravitate to the established ACNS XML
    standard for their complaint. We use this to automate our handling
    but several companies have arbitrarily defined their own
    modifications to their standard -- which gives us a ton of
    headaches since they change them willy-nilly.

Seen this and it is a pain when they pop up.

1.

I found that valid notices only account for less than 13% of the total
notices that we receive daily. We had since implemented network
filters to eliminate (almost 100%) all P2P traffic and the complaints
have gone down significantly, but this has not changed the percentage
of invalid complaints.

Aside from the timestamp mismatch, I would guess that about 99% of the
notices we receive are accurate. Odd.

Anyway, I hope that sharing this helps out by giving some insight to
the DMCA complaint systems.

Regards

-AT