Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Ports/applications permitted for Guest Access

From: "Gioia, Matthew P." <MGioia () STLCC EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:54:45 -0500

We treat guests like people coming in from the internet - we drop them
off at the firewall and they get access to our externally facing
systems. We were considering restricting non-web/email/vpn application
ports as well. Then I went through our flow logs to see how much of the
bandwidth "everything-else" took up. Everything-else took up about
10-15% of the traffic. So 85%+ of our traffic was already riding those
ports. So then the question became - do the pros outweigh the cons when
we're talking about 10-15% of our guest-access bandwidth, or are there
better ways to spend my time? It took about 30 seconds to consider.

Of course YMMV,

Matthew Gioia, CISSP
Network Security Analyst
St. Louis Community College