Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: process for creating Information security policies and guidelines

From: "Drews, Jane E" <jane-drews () UIOWA EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:16:43 +0000

Mohamed et al,
We developed a separate process for IT policy, to make it more "agile" than our University-level Operations Manual
Policy.  (Those policy often take a year or more to develop, vet, and approve.)  Our CIO was successful persuading
University Administration to delegate final IT policy approval to his role (CIO), they are included as official
University policy by reference in our Operations Manual AUP.  Our IT Community Leadership developed the IT policy
process, which is described at http://cio.uiowa.edu/policy/ITdevelopment.shtml   (There is also a flowchart depicting
the process.) This has worked remarkably well for us, however we are always challenged to ensure that all interested
parties get involved in the policy vetting/review phase.   A few years ago we added a policy review wiki to facilitate
comments and feedback gathering on drafts, which has helped.

Jane Drews, CISO
Information Security & Policy Office
The University of Iowa