Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DHS Announces the Release of New Training Course: Workplace Security Awareness

From: Walter Petruska <wpetruska () USFCA EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 12:33:11 -0700

Let's consider how we may respond and help to create a safer world here-

Okay- there are some problems.  Let's view our collective responses thus far
as a knee-jerk reaction.  Should we gather our opinions into a statement and
forward to the program administrators, along with recommended alternatives?

The courses themselves look pretty good- I've just had a peek into one of
them. Easy to find, easy to access, free, relevant.

At least they HAVE created this material, and they ARE putting it out to
there to a wide audience.

Let's help them to improve the program, and perhaps we can also look at
their offerings, and recommend some areas which they have not yet covered!?

There are CEUs and some courses carry 'college credit'.  So, certainly,
there are many out there who will be drawn to this combination of: access to
relevant training, zero cost, CEUs to maintain certs, and education credit
for those who need it (in public, private and NGO sectors).

How do others feel about providing them a formal reply with 'Thanks- nice
job, however, you may wish to address the following issues: a, b, c; and we
recommend the following topics for further development: x, y, z.

*Walter Petruska CISSP, CISA, CGEIT*
Information Security Officer
infosec.usfca.edu

*University of San Francisco*