Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: web filtering

From: Joe Guenther <JGuenther () OLDSCOLLEGE CA>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 21:10:30 -0600

We use a cluster of Fortigate 3016's as our edge firewalls.  They catch a TON of malware.  The client support help desk
has really noticed the difference since we installed these edge firewalls. The FortiGate's can also do content
filtering.  I have found that they are far more powerfull than any squid based solution I have tried. I have used
numerous linux/squid solutions including DansGuardian, SquidGuard.  Being community based solutions, they just do not
have the accuracy that a paid subscription will deliver.  So IMHO you don't get what you don't pay for.  I use free
linux based firewall solutions where I can, but not for malware, or content filtering, or spam filtering.
Another plus to the Fortinet firewalls is fantastic professional services and support.  They have more than bent over
backwards to support us.  I can't say that about some other vendors we work with, but Fortinet has left a very very
good impression in the past few years that we have their products.

We then use a Packeteer to control the P2P stuff - let it connect, but put the whole category on a barest little drip,
so that it really is pretty useless.

Joe Guenther

Joe Guenther | Sr. Network Administrator | Olds College<http://www.oldscollege.ca/> | 4500-50th Street | Olds, Alberta