Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Inventory Form?

From: "win-hied () bradjudy com" <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 10:29:35 -0400

I wrote up this page and provided the linked basic Excel inventory sheets when I
was at UC Boulder: http://www.colorado.edu/its/security/assetinventory/

I was surprised how many departments used the supplied templates for their
inventories.  A few extended existing inventory mechanisms to include checkboxes
about sensitive information.

Two caveats: getting people to fill out the information and return it is a
painful and drawn out process, and the reliability of the sensitive information
checkboxes isn't great if you aren't using a data searching tool.  A lot of data
breaches occur in close proximity to the words "I forgot about that old
database/spreadsheet file."

Brad J