Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Netflow Analysis Software

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 10:40:28 -0400

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Miller,James R <millerj () uakron edu> wrote:

We are looking at adding Netflow analysis to our networking toolkit. Has anyone had good or bad success with any
particular vendors? Right now we are looking at Solar Winds and Fluke. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

What are you looking to accomplish? Flow data is, at its heart,
extremely simple - two IPs, two ports, two timestamps, some flags and
some counters. Is there something you want to do that you can't script
in-house or use something like ipAudit or Argus + rrdtool as a
starting point?

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox GPEN, GCIH
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems