Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Certificate vendors

From: Jack Suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:27:09 -0500

Colleagues,

Please compare the pricing for the Comodo certs, or any vendor, with that at InCommon -
http://incommonfederation.org/cert  . In the spirit of disclosure, I am on InCommon Steering and my institution (UMBC)
has signed up.

InCommon is using the Comodo cert service but I think we have even stronger pricing and we will ultimately have a much
more complete package. This was launched in May and we already have 79 institutions signed up --
http://www.incommonfederation.org/cert/subscribers.cfm  . We expect that this will save most universities significant
amounts of money and also form the basis for a variety of new and interesting services.

This service will also cover unlimited personal certs, EV certs, and some other cert services. We have a group of
experts validating how to best deploy personal certs and will be communicating that in the spring when the group
completes its work.  This is really a great opportunity to leverage resources in the community to advance security in a
variety of ways.

Jack Suess, VP of IT, UMBC