Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Wiping of data on large storage arrays

From: "Jones, Dan" <Dan.Jones () UMASSMED EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:37:32 -0400

Hi All,

I'm searching for options to address the contractual need to purge data at the end of a contract. Many of our contracts
call for 'secure deletion' of the data owner's data when a contract ends, including issuance of an affidavit to that
effect.

A DOD 5220.22-M wipe is simple to do when data is stored on a single disk. Even with early storage arrays, one could
provision a small set of disks for a project and then wipe the disks at project's end. Similar things apply with backup
tapes too.

The verbiage of old-style data destruction requirements does not mesh well when data is stored on more modern storage
-like an Isilon array (since data will age-out over time and be migrated to slower disks or near-line storage).

I wonder how others may be addressing this need.
        - data is spread over so many disks we don't worry about it
        - destroy the encryption keys so the data becomes irretrievable cyphertext
        - something else?

If the response is significant I'll summarize responses for the list

Vendors need not reply

Thanks,
Dan Jones
ISO