Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: extending active directory to external (hosted) and 3rd parties

From: "Flynn, Gary - flynngn" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:13:52 +0000

I'd say "best practice" is a federated identity solution like Shibboleth. If
the outside party can't or won't integrate that way, then a risk assessment
is in order to see if the benefit of dealing with the organization(s) is
worth the risk that would be assumed. We've so far chosen not to allow such
access.

Hopefully, as vendors lose business due not not being able to comply with
demands for state of the art identity management solutions that don't demand
exposure of their customers' core identity management infrastructure, the
environment will progress.