Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Assessment -- Firms and Costs

From: Barron Hulver <Barron.Hulver () OBERLIN EDU>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:52:50 -0500

Kevin,

We are in the same situation. We are a small liberal arts college of nearly 3,000 students and a small, stretched IT staff that works very hard to support all the services. I have two recommendations: 1) perform a series of small engagements instead of a large, thorough technical audit and 2) establish a relationship with an external security consultant that you trust because that person will have experience with other organizations and security best practices.

Since a security assessment had never been performed before I started in the summer of 2006, the Director of IT and I decided to engage in a series of small assessments instead of a large, comprehensive assessment. Since I already had some experience with security assessments through my previous employer, I wrote the scope and reviewed it with the Director of IT and other directors as well as my staff. We focused on the network and central servers, leaving the assessment of applications and clients for another day. This worked out well as it it minimized the initial cost, introduced to my staff the benefit of working with an external security consultant, and kept the amount of remediation work manageable. We have now completed three assessments and will be thinking about the fourth in the near future.

The second recommendation will follow by performing a series of small engagements. I already knew a security consultant I trusted before I came to Oberlin and we decided to use his services after we talked to a couple of other firms that perform security assessments. The benefit is my staff is now comfortable working with him (there is a trust relationship) and sometimes I call him for short questions and guidance.

While a security assessment is a point-in-time snapshot, approach it as a recurring process.

Barron

Barron Hulver
Director of Networking, Operations, and Systems
Center for Information Technology
Oberlin College
148 West College Street
Oberlin, OH  44074
440-775-8798
http://www2.oberlin.edu/staff/bhulver/

Good morning.

We have a common-enough story: we're a small university (3k students, a third of whom live on campus) with an under-staffed IT department. We've got the "annoyance" threats contained, and have some data security safeguards in place to help keep us off the front page of our local newspaper, but we've never done a large, thorough technical audit.

Some research has revealed assessment firms and rough pricing. Some in our administration, however, seem surprised/appalled that it would cost this much.

So I'm looking for a little more evidence that, yes, it does cost this much.

I was hoping that folks might be willing to share in brief their experiences with this, something like, "We've got 5k students, we used this firm, and it cost about $x at the end of the day." We're looking for pretty complete internal/external vulnerability/penetration testing, a review of our policies, and a focus on about five applications. The chief goal is to prevent an episode where student/employee data is compromised.

I understand student numbers is not the best unit of comparison (as opposed to IP addresses, etc.), but I'm just looking for rough figures.

Thanks!

Kevin Casey
Husson University