Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Institution-Wide Identity Theft Management

From: "Self, Dennis" <dlself () SAMFORD EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:18:44 -0600

Please forgive this repost.  With only three responses (thanks to those who did), it is obviously best to ask for open

I proposed the notion of pursuing an institution-wide identity theft management policy and practice at my institution,
to cover multiple compliance requirements.  In summary, the notion is to require authorization, training,
certification, audit and periodic renewal of privilege to process SSN, payment instrument account and security numbers,
etc.  I have been asked if other universities are pursuing this as well.  Have you taken this approach?

Dennis Self
Director, IT Security & Compliance
Samford University
800 Lakeshore Drive