Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: vpn split tunnel or no split tunnel

From: Nathaniel Hall <educause-lists () NATHANIELHALL COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:09:31 -0600

Mark,

Last time I seriously worked with a split tunnel VPN I couldn't utilize
some of the firewall features I was utilizing for our internal network.
For example, content filtering was becoming a bigger ordeal at our
remote sites but due to the split tunnel I couldn't utilize the internal
content filtering system.  We also had issues with one of our load
balanced Blackboard system.  The split tunnel caused issues with being
able to load balance properly due to the overall network configuration.
--
Nathaniel Hall