Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vendor Server Access

From: "Greene, Chip" <cgreene2 () RICHMOND EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:54:12 -0400

We set up each of our vendors with unique credentials and allow them VPN access.  Each credential is stored in a
database with a responsible university employee assigned.  All traffic is tunneled to campus and only allow traffic to
their specific servers, and only the necessary ports to complete their support function (rdp, ssh, etc.)  Vendors
Internet access is blocked while vpn'd into network also.  On top of the network security, we require vendors to have
individual login credentials to the servers they support.  Local firewalls only allow specific traffic from the vendor
reserved IP address as well.  All of these connections are documented in a server/application portology diagram as well.