Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless access by users with multiple devices

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:08:12 -0400

We just increased our DHCP scope from a /22 to /20 and it is already half
full with leases.  Our proxies took a beating.  We have since dedicated one
Squid proxy to Guest Wireless (no authentication).  On an average day, we
see 60,000 connection on it (keeping in mind that there are 2 to 4
connections for each client per one web request and each client could
initiate 10 to 20 or more connections from a single web page).  We are
restricting bandwidth and number of connections per client.  We are
currently working with our network team and IT administrative group for
solutions going forward as we expect it to get worse.

Ronald King

Security Engineer

Norfolk State University

Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research

Suite 401

700 Park Ave.

Norfolk, Virginia  23504

Phone:  757-823-3918