Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: "Stand Alone" Hard Disk Encryption for Home/Personal PCs and Laptops

From: Alex Keller <alkeller () SFSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:53:14 -0700

Windows Vista/7: Truecrypt or Bitlocker
Macintosh OS X: Truecrypt or Filevault*

Bitlocker and Filevault are included within their respective OSes,
Truecrypt is open source and available on Win/Mac/Linux. I use Truecrypt
full disk encryption on my laptop and external hard drive, works
fantastic with neligible performance impact.

* Filevault is not full disk encryption, as it only encrypts the user
profile.

best,
alex