Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Crooks, thieves, kidnappers...

From: John Hoffoss <john.hoffoss () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 16:32:13 -0500

..and thread-jackers.

Perhaps I'm the only person who reads lists with a client that threads conversations, but I doubt it. On behalf of
those who do, this is a friendly request to actually press Ctrl+N, Cmd+M, or whatever buttons your client requires in
order to create a NEW message, rather than REPLYING to a thread and changing the subject. Your mail client cleverly
embeds a ThreadID field that allows smarter mail clients to track individual threads and group them.

Except when you reply instead of creating a new message, you change the way the whole thread is displayed. Then people
like me miss your thread entirely, or lose the thread I wanted to read in a flood of unrelated messages that are
threaded together.

A very first-world problem, I know, but it gets old.

-jth
--
John T. Hoffoss
Information Security Office  --  Minnesota State Colleges and Universities

30 7th Street East, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55101-7804
USA