Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Fwd: bit OT -- Wifi technology

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 10:08:36 +1200

Hi Folks

this stuff has security implications but really is not primarily a security topic so please forgive me for taking
liberties with the list.

Currently we are a cisco shop as far as our wireless infrastructure goes -- enterprise WPA2, EAP, PEAP,  authenticated
via radius, but are now looking at alternatives.

One thing that we are aware of is the convergence of traditional wifi and cellphone technology.  It seems clear that
'4G' will support some form of (more or less ?) seamless marriage of the two.  This is vitally important for us because
3G bandwidth is extremely expensive here -- to the point where potentially useful mobile applications are too expensive
for a large sector of our student population.  Added to this is the problem of different network providers -- any deal
struck with one provider will leave more than 50% of our users out in the cold.  Being able to leverage our wireless
network with most phones would be a big advantage.  Many people already use iPhones this way but is currently not
widespread enough to deliver essential services over.

The other thing that we are aware of is that the Cisco gear performs well in some circumstances but sub optimally in
others.  We wonder if we can improve the over all performance of our wireless presence by buying AP from another
provider for some niche environments (e.g. lecture theatre and other relatively open spaces)

And then then there is the security aspect of mixing technologies/vendors.  Are there things that we should look out
for?  In theory so long as we can authentication via one of radius, kerberos or AD we should be fine but is it as
simple as that?

So we would very much like to hear any real world experiences or of any crystal ball gazing that others have done that
might help us decide where to go...

Thanks, Russell