Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: firewall requirements for applications

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:18:35 -0400

On Wednesday 01 September 2010 14:13:09 Shalla, Kevin wrote:

We have an application that currently is protected by a firewall.
The application (Windows executable) resides on a file share, and
data on a database server.  Managing the firewall for this
application causes quite a bit of grief.  I recently asked why we
needed to keep it behind the firewall, considering that we've got
much more confidential data (our main ERP), which is available
through any web browser and java to any computer on the Internet.
Is there some valid increased security risk to allowing access to a
Windows executable versus a java application?

Kevin -

I think you may be asking the wrong question. You are basically asking,
"why are we protecting <x> when we aren't protecting <y>?". I would be
asking, "look, we're protecting <x> and it's less sensitive data than
<y>, why don't we put <z> controls in place to protect that data as
well, or at least require VPN access to get to it?"

It's possible the application server can't handle things like user or
IP-based ACLs and needs some external device to do so while the ERP
software can do this internally. This is particularly common in older
software and software intended for use in a trusted environment.

It could also be that you're looking at this strictly from an ingress
perspective. Does the application firewall also protect the world, or the
rest of your network, from damage if the application server is
exploited?

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox, GCIH
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems