Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Requires Encryption?

From: Faith Mcgrath <faith.mcgrath () YALE EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:25:16 -0400

As part of your risk assessment you may also want to review the HITECH regs on breach notification for unsecured PHI and those specifications for encryption for both data at rest and in motion (and for data destruction). -Faith

_____________________
45 CFR Parts 160 and 164
Breach Notification for Unsecured Protected Health Information; Interim Final Rule
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-20169.pdf

[pg 42742-42743]
Protected health information (PHI) is rendered unusable, unreadable, or indecipherable to unauthorized individuals if one or more of the following applies: (a) Electronic PHI has been encrypted as specified in the HIPAA Security Rule by the use of an algorithmic process to transform data into a form in which there is a low probability of assigning meaning without use of a confidential process or key-2 and such confidential process or key that might enable decryption has not been breached. To avoid a breach of the confidential process or key, these decryption tools should be stored on a device or at a location separate from the data they are used to encrypt or decrypt. The encryption processes identified below have been tested by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and judged to meet this standard. (i) Valid encryption processes for data at rest are consistent with NIST Special Publication 800-11, Guide to Storage Encryption Technologies for End User Devices.3 4 (ii) Valid encryption processes for data in motion are those which comply, as appropriate, with NIST Special Publications 800-52, Guidelines for the Selection and Use of Transport Layer Security (TLS) Implementations; 800-77, Guide to IPsec VPNs; or 800-113, Guide to SSL VPNs, or others which are Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) 140Â-2 validated.5 (b) The media on which the PHI is stored or recorded have been destroyed in one of the following ways: (i) Paper, film, or other hard copy media have been shredded or destroyed such that the PHI cannot be read or otherwise cannot be reconstructed. Redaction is specifically excluded as a means of data destruction. (ii) Electronic media have been cleared, purged, or destroyed consistent with NIST Special Publication 800-88, Guidelines for Media Sanitization,6 such that the PHI cannot be retrieved."

--
Faith McGrath, Compliance Officer
Yale University ITS - Information Security

Ozzie Paez wrote:
Dear Mike,

Yours is a very logical approach and I cannot disagree with you
technically, however, the regulatory environment has factors, which
often drive a decision. When it comes to sensitive personal information
such as what we deal with in HIPAA, there is always the issue of
liability and its attractive effects on attorneys. In that light, some
things are simply expected and when they are not there, the
organization’s liability based on perception increases significantly.
Explaining to a jury why technically encryption is not necessary takes
time and exposes any technical argument to a counter technical argument.
In the end, the jury may well throw up its hands and cancel the experts
out, which leaves the attorney with the simple question of “How could
they justify leaving this data unencrypted just to save a few dollars?”
or “Everyone knows that encryption protects privacy and yet they did not
care enough to spend a few dollars more to protect my clients’ most
private information?” Anyway, my two cents worth is that it is just not
worth the risk because encryption has become a kind of expected elixir,
which, whether effective or not, affects overall risks and liabilities –

Great points in your e-mail though –

Ozzie