Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Schools using SourceFire for IPS

From: "Everett, Alex D" <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:30:32 -0400

Seth:

The network-based (we have some host-based also) intrusion prevention units at UNC have been quite beneficial in a
number of areas.

1. Attack migitation - millions of SSH brute force blocked per year, not to mention SQL injection, and php file
includes. Must be inline for some of this to be useful*
2. HEOA - technical measures
3. Blocking bad IPs, no border firewall, so we use IPS instead
4. Investigating - like IDS, why does resnet have a lot of fake antivirus alerts???lets do something about it.
5. Zero-day/unpatched - its difficult for an enterprise to have all patches applied. New computers are brought up
hourly.
6. Incident cost/helpdesk costs - one prevented incident could be worth tens of thousands due to regulatory compliance
7. Provides protection for devices that would otherwise have little
8. Monitoring - like network monitoring, we graph tcp/udp etc. per minute per interface
9. Blacklists - lets not have any IP that zeustracker or malwaredomains says is distributing malware connect to UNC

Intrusion prevention can be one of other controls that help reduce risk for an organization.

-Alex Everett, CISSP, CCNA
IT Security Engineer
University of North Carolina