Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: [SECURITY] Directory Trolling

From: Dave Kovarik <david-kovarik () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:15:18 -0500

From Roger Safian:

I'm at FIRST.  If anyone wants to talk about this, or other
topics, seek me out.

At 12:22 PM 6/15/2010, Ken Connelly put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Northwestern displays the e-mail address from a directory lookup as a
simplistic captcha image. I've been trying for a couple of years to get
a similar thing implemented here, but so far...

http://directory.northwestern.edu/

Just a couple of comments about the service.  We have a
method to allow our authenticated users to view the actual
(clickable) information.  That works pretty well, so for most
of our community they don't have to deal with the CAPCHA's.
The service still helps prevent spam, but, we can see some
flaws.  Cheap labor means that you can no hire somebody
to manually root through the directory and record the addresses
by hand.  We've seen the attacks several times, and the time
it takes (along with typos) makes it pretty clear these are
not automated.