Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Changing Domain Passwords

From: John Washington <jawashin () UIUC EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:57:42 -0500

  I will admit that I would have opted for a kpasswd based solution (for
website and/or client), as it is easier.  Why do you disable password
changes from domain PCs?

  We have an external website for password reset as well but did not
disable any other reset mechanisms.

* Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () washburn edu> [2010-06-21 11:11]:
While not exactly like your situation, we are looking at a similar issue and intend to address it in the following
way:

Disable password change from domain PCs (no more ctl-alt-del -> Change Password)

Direct users to a web page to perform password resets.  This web page runs a script that reaches out to each of our
directory/authentication systems and performs an LDAP command to change the password.  Active Directory supports LDAP
password changes if and only if you process it over an SSL-secured LDAP connection (port 636).  You can find more
info by doing a Google search for "Active Directory LDAP change password"

Kevin

--
Kevin Halgren
Assistant Director - Systems and Network Services