Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Thawte root change to 2048 bit cert and intermediate CA

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:48:59 +1200

On 26/05/2010, at 9:30 AM, Jason Testart wrote:

There shouldn't be any changes needed on the browser (assuming the
correct root CA is trusted).  You will need to change how you do things
on the server.  We had some pains educating our server admins to include
the intermediate cert along with the server cert at certificate install
time.

You need to be particularly careful with windows servers as intermediate certs
need to be installed in a different place to the server certs.  If you use the
automated tools (double click on the cert ?) the windows normally does 'the right
thing' but not always.  We have also had very experienced admins who have manually
added intermediate certs to the wrong store.

We use Certs from AusCERT that rely on Comodo's "Add trust" certs.  These certs are in
most modern system so even if the admins don't install them on the server *most* things
work, which is really confusing.

Older Macs ( < 10.5 ?) are one conspicuous group that fail.

Russell