Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS conference call

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 15:16:39 -0500

I'd be interested in any v6 "weather reports" relevant to malware &c that people have, personally.

Since I'm bothering the list about this, I'll offer back that my home 6in4 tunnelbroker network which I've run since
2004 or so has generally been *very* quiet.  At least until software such as Vuze became v6-capable.  I'm still able to
log all v6 packets on my little network at the (PF) firewall and not seriously perturb my log system, so it's still
pretty  quiet out there.  I have seen a little bit of  unusual activity shortly after connection to torrents with a
v6-capable application, but I'm not absolutely certain it isn't just random client braindamage.

So, even if there's almost no background malware/scanning radiation, there's certainly the possibility for malicious
systems on the v6 world to "discover" your existence and poke at you.  This would be an additional leverage point for
worm-scanning such as written about by Bellovin et al back in 2006

Steven M. Bellovin, Angelos Keromytis, and Bill Cheswick. Worm propagation strategies in an IPv6 Internet. ;login:,
pages 70-76, February 2006. http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/v6worms.pdf

   -jml

"Flynn, Gary" <flynngn () JMU EDU> 2010-05-26 14:45 >>>
Randy,

What ipv6 attacks have your IPS units detected? Just curious as we're getting ready to upgrade our IPS for IPv6
capability and enable native IPv6 across the Internet border. Currently we're blocking IPv6 and allowing
tunneling/transition protocols. We hope to reverse that.

I saw a white paper from ISS or eEye 5-6 years ago about detected IPv6 attacks and IPv6 enabled malware but haven't
seen anything recently.

Thanks,
gary