Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL/SSH certifiactes -- Consider looking at InCommon

From: Jack Suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 19:34:50 -0400

Bruce,

You might look at joining InCommon for the Certificate Service.

In mid-March I mentioned that InCommon was looking at the possibility of deploying a certificate service.
I wanted to update this group and let you know that this is going forward.A full rollout is expected during summer 2010.

Some of the benefits we see with the InCommon Cert Service are the following:
+ Cost savings - unlimited SSL and personal certificates for a fixed annual fee
        • unlimited SSL, personal signing, encryption, and code signing PKI certificates.
        • pricing based on Carnegie classification ($2,000 - $20,000) annually. See full fee schedule here.
        • Internet2 members receive a 25 percent discount.
        • must be an InCommon participant (see benefits of InCommon participation and how to join InCommon).
+ Security and usability - one publicly signed certificate source for all campus servers at no marginal cost.
+ Innovative - first real step toward signed email and second-factor authentication in US higher education.

Resources

        • One-page flyer (pdf)   http://www.incommonfederation.org/cert/doc/InC_Cert.pdf
        • FAQ (pdf)                      http://www.incommonfederation.org/cert/doc/faq.pdf
        • Fee Schedule              http://www.incommonfederation.org/cert/cert_fee.html

We know that there will be questions and tweaks that we have to do with this and encourage you to send questions and
comments to
incommon-info () incommonfederation org.

Jack Suess            UMBC VP of IT & CIO
jack () umbc edu    1000 Hilltop Circle
410.455.2582     Baltimore Md, 21250