Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

What is up with Encryption?

From: Kimberly Heimbrock <heimbrockk () NKU EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 14:46:46 -0400

We were mid-stream in encryption vendor reviews when PGP, Guardian Edge
and now Sophos have been bought/sold.  Unsure of the commercial market,
we are now considering simply using OS-based encryption - Bitlocker and
Mac encryption.  We are primarily concerned about key recovery with
'free' products, as well as ease of deployment, administration, and
support- particularly off-hours.  Has anyone successfully implemented
Bitlocker with AD key storage and recovery, and what success/horror
stories do you have.

Any other suggestions on current products such as Checkpoint, or others?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Kim Heimbrock

Director, IT Policy and Compliance

Northern Kentucky University