Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mtgs with people outside of IT?

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:21:24 -0400

Raymond, Jessica wrote:
Hi all!  I am the chair of a monthly meeting where we meet with other
administrative staff from finance, the Registrar’s office, accounting,
payroll, hr, the internal auditor, etc.  It’s supposed to be a committee
in which to discuss IT security topics with people outside of IT.  I’ve
been doing this for a year now and find myself at a loss for what to
discuss in the meeting and how to make it beneficial and worthwhile for
those in attendance.  Do you hold these types of meetings, and if so,
what agenda items are discussed?

We don't have anything specifically security-based - instead, I attend
one monthly meeting with the heads of the administrative departments,
and one with the faculty. I am only one of several IT people, but I
provide a perspective on security where appropriate.

You could talk about current email trends (spam percentages, recent
phishing schemes, etc.) Mobile devices. Taking data off-campus, or using
personal machines to do college work. Upcoming changes in the security
environment. Email encryption. Disk encryption. Maybe bring in people
from other colleges to discuss the differences in how you handle things.
There are lots of potential topics.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu