Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DR/BC Planning

From: Kimberly Heimbrock <heimbrockk () NKU EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:47:24 -0400

We are in-progress in development of a full DR plan, including policies,
templates, etc.   We are heavily dependent upon the use of Sharepoint as
our secure document repository.  It is formatted to follow the plan
'outline' and can be secured down to the document level.  Our major
categories include:

*         Overview and Policy

*         Planning procedures and emergency documentation (emergency
contacts, BIA, RTO, RPO, Risk Assessment, Emergency Response teams
defined, etc)

*         Recovery procedures and Emergency response team plans (each
recovery team has a section - secured to select members for read,
update, etc))

*         Off-site recovery sites, infrastructure testing sites

*         Testing & Maintenance

*         Vendor Contacts

*         Templates (see below)

*         Misc, appendixes, etc

Our plan includes self-developed templates:

*         Technical/infrastructure (Servers, network, cabling, backups,
telecom, etc.)

*         Employee/staff emergency template (each manager to complete
the template for team members, which then rolls into a master emergency
contact document)

*         Services/Support (for use in help desk, office support, etc.
to resume services for user support during and after disruptions)

*         Application recovery (application recovery for web, server,
3rd party software, assumptions, dependencies, test plans)

Getting the content from all IT areas involved has proven difficult, but
we plan on handing a hard copy to each recovery team lead (and our CIO)
to show where the major gaps still remain - especially if they were to
actually need to work from it in the event of a major disruption.
Updates will be done about twice annually; plan to work DR into our
Change Management procedures, and hopefully test annually (likely
'tabletop' due to budgets).

We have made good progress, but have a ways to go still.   If you would
like copies of any of this or would like to discuss in more detail,
contact me at heimbrockk () nku edu.

Kim