Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Web/Internet Filtering with dynamic updates?

From: Dennis Bohn <BOHN () ADELPHI EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:50:38 -0400

Hello-

As we're getting hit with more and more web-borne phishing, etc. directing =
to known malware/botnet sites, we've decided to implement some form of web/=
internet content/address filtering.

There are a couple of paths available these days- which allow us to overcom=
e the dependancy on one or multiple premise devices, such as SaaS or MSP so=
lutions.

I'm wondering if any of you have CURRENT experience with the following vend=
ors, or have a solid recommndation of what/who we should be examining.  FYI=
- our current Internet pipe is about 400 Mb, and is expected to grow in com=
ing years up to 1 Gb ( but not too soon, I hope!)

Vendors:

Webroot (in the cloud solution) perhaps along with their e-mail archiving s=
olution (we currently use Postini).
Barracuda

Also- if you are currently filtering, do you limit to particular networks, =
and/or do you have policy on WHAT you filter?

We are using a home-grown approach that helps some.  A script that takes known malware feeds and updates object groups
in the ASA firewall to deny those addresses.  The feeds can add up to >5000 addresses, so it is ... a non-trivial
exercise.  YMMV.  If you would like more details, feel free to email directly.
best,
dennis

Dennis Bohn
network manager