Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Web/Internet Filtering with dynamic updates? 2010 update

From: Walter Petruska <wpetruska () USFCA EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:09:41 -0700

Hello-

As we're getting hit with more and more web-borne phishing, etc. directing
to known malware/botnet sites, we've decided to implement some form of
web/internet content/address filtering.

There are a couple of paths available these days- which allow us to overcome
the dependancy on one or multiple premise devices, such as SaaS or MSP
solutions.

I'm wondering if any of you have CURRENT experience with the following
vendors, or have a solid recommndation of what/who we should be examining.
FYI- our current Internet pipe is about 400 Mb, and is expected to grow in
coming years up to 1 Gb ( but not too soon, I hope!)

Vendors:

Webroot (in the cloud solution) perhaps along with their e-mail archiving
solution (we currently use Postini).
Barracuda

Also- if you are currently filtering, do you limit to particular networks,
and/or do you have policy on WHAT you filter?

Thanks-

Walter Petruska, CISSP, CISA, CGEIT
Information Security Officer
University of San Francisco