Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Facebook's Open Graph

From: Mike Bayne <baynema () JMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:07:05 -0400

Last week Facebook announced their Open Graph project, allowing users of
third party websites to see which of their Facebook friends have
recommended that page and to recommend it themselves.  Our marketing
team seems eager to consider adding this to our site.

We're trying to understand the possible risks associated with this.
While the technology is new and details are still somewhat sketchy,
we're looking for any information that may help us make a better
informed recommendation.  On the surface, it seems like an incredible
invasion to privacy: all pages equipped with Open Graph will send your
identity to Facebook allowing them to track your web surfing habits as
it becomes more prevalent.  What else it may mean we're still working on.

We were wondering if anyone else has started thinking about this.  Are
you planning on adopting it for your site?  Are the privacy concerns as
great as my paranoia say they are?  Any concern with potentially
tarnishing your organization's reputation if there is a backlash against
this?  Are there concerns about using this as a vector to attack your
community or servers?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this.

--

Mike Bayne
James Madison University