Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Microsoft NAP

From: gwillia5 () UCCS EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 08:18:25 -0600

Currently we use a NAC appliance for our secure wireless network.   Given
the fact that over the past 2 years our wireless usage has doubled from the
previous year, we can't keep buying licenses that cost an arm and a leg due
to budget constraints.

I've been looking at Microsoft NAP for a while now, however have a few
questions for those who have either used it in the past or are currently
using it.

1.        Are you handling non-domain machines (student machines)?

2.       Is your deployment 802.1x, VPN, or DHCP, wired, wireless?

3.       If and how are you verifying the health of Mac and Linux machines?

4.       Have you previously had other NAC deployments other than Microsoft
NAP?

5.       How well do students like the solution?

Greg Williams

IT Department

719-255-3211

 <mailto:greg.williams () uccs edu> greg.williams () uccs edu

University of Colorado at Colorado Springs