Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI Question-Credit Cards via Fax

From: "Hudson, Edward" <ewhudson () CSUCHICO EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 13:26:22 -0700

We accept them via fax. While we are trying to dissuade the practice I don't see it going away too soon. It is a
cumbersome process to adequately address under PCI.
To be compliant the fax machine should be in a location with limited access as you stated (only those who are
processing the transaction). Incoming faxes have to be logged including who took possession for processing. You also
have to log that the transaction was done and the ultimate disposition of the fax itself ie. Stored and for how
long/shredded etc. You have to have the whole process documented/memorialized and don't forget the requirements around
the people who are handling the faxes.. (background checks etc)
We have this going on around purchases at our student union and alumni functions as well as occasionally related to
student fees though not as frequent since they can pay online...

Ed Hudson, CISM
Information Security Office
California State University, Chico
www.csuchico.edu/ires/security<http://www.csuchico.edu/ires/security>