Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI and common access computers

From: "Flynn, Gary" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:36:20 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Ewing, Ashley
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:07 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] PCI and common access computers

I have been told by our QSA, Trustwave and auditors at PwC that they
are in scope.  An employee entering a credit card on a university owned
machine going through a university network to the payment process on
site or off site is in scope along with the path as part of a
university payment process.  Not an individual making a personal
purchase, but the ticketing office, advancement/alumni, continuing
studies programs, etc., taking customer credit cards via phone, fax or
paper.

We are testing the use of a small PCs that shares the keyboard, mouse
and monitor with the primary desktop, and runs software that will
lockdown the device to the payment processes only on an isolated
network segment (completely separate from any wireless network access).
This reduces the risk associated with email, web surfing and network
sniffing.

Feel free to contact me offline if you have any questions.

We are also addressing these computers (ticket office, advancement, etc).
We're providing second computers, generally from surplus, and putting
a dedicated Cisco ASA 5505 firewall in front of them.

But I was told that other computers, specifically general purpose kiosks,
may also be in scope. Then I began wondering about lab computers. Or
computers that some offices make available as a convenience courtesy to
students visiting their offices for some other service. It quickly gets
out of hand. But by strict definition, they would all be university owned
computers through which students, faculty, staff, and/or the general
public (in the libraries or during special events) may transmit credit
cards.