Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Are users right in rejecting security advice?

From: Leon DuPree <duprleo () GMAIL COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 05:11:47 -0400

In order to be able to facilitate what you said you must be able to identify
what the behavior you want to enforce.
Structure of your organization will determine if you have the ability to
make this happen.

Government, Business/Corporate tend to be pretty restrictive.
Academic... well that tends to change from college to college depending on
the circumstance.

I believe that you must identify the behavior you want to reinforce then
determine how  can you guide the  user toward that action or away from that
action.

People are people no matter what technology we use.  Can we find a way to
re-enforce positive behavior?
discourage negative behavior?  You definitely are looking in the right
direction I would check ope-rant learning behavior models to map the policy
with the technology.

I did a wireless security audit but discovered that the structure of the
organization was too centralized to be able to even consider cross
functional threats of the report.  too bad probably wont react until a real
threat occurs.