Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Now: BSD and Juniper VPN, was Re: Juniper SSL VPN Training Recommendations

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:34:08 -0500

On 12 February 2010 18:18, Julian Y. Koh <kohster () northwestern edu> wrote:

At 6:01 PM -0500 2/12/10, Kevin Wilcox wrote:

On 12 February 2010 17:40, Julian Y. Koh <kohster () northwestern edu> wrote:

Indeed,
the ease of setup and use was one of the major reasons why we picked
Juniper over its competitors in our eval.

Is this the case for all platforms?

It's a web GUI, so yeah, it works reasonably well from all platforms.

For future reference, being web-based is not an indicator of any level
of support or usability. If the browser on my Blackberry or
lynx/links2 from a Unix CLI can't access it, it is a pointless web
page as far as I'm concerned - and there are many, many sites out on
the web that break without flash, Java and all sorts of other crud
that have no business being on the WWW.

 When
we first deployed, there were just a couple little pieces of the interface
that seemed to only like working with IE on Windows, but with various
revisions over the years those seems to have disappeared.  At least the
ones that we had encountered anyway.  Firefox seems to work just fine for
everything we need in this respect, and I also use Safari with no problems.

Based on other posts there is a JVM component and this, I believe, is
where the true sticking point for "useful" will be. It's not really
"web friendly" if it requires more than a simple browser. Can anyone
verify *reliable* FreeBSD or OpenBSD connectivity without having to
hack up Linux emulation, a Windows VM, etc?

Title changed so that this isn't a total hijack of the thread.

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems