Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Experience outsourcing student email to Live@edu

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:24:59 -0600

On 1/27/2010 9:06 AM, Terry Gray wrote:
I think it is fair to say that Google would like everyone to use a
standard contract, after all, their business is built on scaling via
algorithmic processes and the absence of exceptions requiring human
intervention, but they have not yet found language that suits all of
us.  The good news is that they do seem to be willing to make changes,
which they eventually try to roll into their standard template.  For
example, when we started contract discussions with them (nearly two
years ago) there was no mention of FERPA, but we expect that good
FERPA language will soon be part of their standard template.

They *may* be willing to make changes, but getting non-standard language
out of them is a non-starter. Even when you know they've done a contract
with a similar institution, they want our suggested changes first -- and
don't want to share what modifications they've already agreed to
elsewhere. I'm sure FERPA language will be there "real soon now" but I'm
not holding my breath.

--
Cheers,
 Willis Marti