Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Nessus And Metasploit

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:20:59 -0500

There was a discussion not too long ago with regard to NeXpose and Metasploit.  Integration between Nessus and
Measploit was brought up.  As a result, we started discussion it here and wanted to pose some questions to the group.
We currently run a Nessus scan on our server networks in the "safe" state once a month and are looking to improve.

1.       Does anyone run Nessus with dangerous (possibly crashing services) or all filters enabled?

2.       If you have Metasploit and Nessus integrated, is Metasploit exploiting vulnerabilities?

3.       If so for either or both, do you worry about taking down production services and/or servers?

4.       When do you schedule these exams? Daily, weekly, monthly? Before or after patch Tuesday? Is time given for
servers to be patched prior?

5.       What kind of comparison's and how are done with previous scans?

Thank you in advance.

Ronald King
Security Engineer
Norfolk State University
Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research
Suite 401
700 Park Ave.
Norfolk, Virginia  23504
Phone:  757-823-3918
Fax: 757-823-2128
Email: raking () nsu edu<mailto:raking () nsu edu>
http://security.nsu.edu