Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stats re: passwords

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:22:19 -0500

Matthew Gracie wrote:
Matthew Wollenweber wrote:

Generally speaking, most brute force programs, dictionaries, and
cracking software are well suited to the rules Randy cited: "a) 8-16
characters b) upper/lower case c)at least 1 numeric d) at least 1
special character." Notably, Pa$$w0rd, Passw0rd!, and P@ssword1 are
very common examples of how most people tend to cluster "complex"
rules into easily guessable permutations. I tend use truly random
passwords from a generator or those similar in style to what Don
mentioned.

-Matt

Occasional brute force audits aren't a bad thing. If you're using LDAP
central auth, just take a dump from it and run John against it for a
weekend. You'll be amazed how many cracks you get, even with the default
dictionaries.

I do this every month or so and sent out "you've got a weak password!"
emails to everyone that gets cracked. And I'm so proud when they call me
to confirm that I really sent the message. :)

--Matt

<chuckling to self>   you're doin' it right, Matt!

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems