Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Browser Plugin Check

From: "Flynn, Gerald" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:28:25 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Maszeroski [mailto:maszeroskia3 () scranton edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:34 AM
To: Flynn, Gerald - flynngn
Cc: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Browser Plugin Check

Gary,

That sounds like a great idea to me -- something similar to the "Secure
Browsing" tab in Secunia PSI. I think the biggest challenge would be
finding someone with the resources necessary to keep the version
library
up-to-date. I wonder if that would be something the collective user
community could handle...

I think that would be easily accomplished as the version checking
scripts wouldn't be that complicated. The difficulty would be
vetting those contributions to make sure someone didn't submit a
version checking script that did something malicious.

I believe there are already quite a few public domain libraries for
checking browser and plugin versions that could probably be adapted
or harvested.

Ideally, vendors would contribute the necessary version checking
scripts for their products as a public service to offset the risk
to their customers their continual product defects were causing. :)
Might even let them sneak a few marketing words or ad graphics
in as long as it didn't interfere with the basic message.