Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Models for Effectively Operating in Highly Decentralized Environments

From: "Howell, Paul" <grue () UMICH EDU>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 18:20:44 -0500

Hi Chris,

The topic of centralized vs. decentralized IT environments is a common
topic for many of us.  Did you get many comments on your message?  If
you did receive comments, would you mind summarizing them for us?

The effective practices working group (part of the Educause security
task force) discussed your question this week, which triggered an
interesting conversation.  We're all facing budget pressures (some much
worse than others) and how we deal with becoming more efficient such
that our IT spend rates are reduced varies.  Some schools see further
decentralization by moving some functions and people to other areas as a
means to reduce costs, while others are moving to a more centralized
model to also reduce costs.  Both approaches can be beneficial,
particularly when they align to the desired direction of the academy.
How does responding to the budget pressures affect your security
program?  Are you considering consolidating security functions and teams
in a core team to enable efficiency, or are you distributing security
functions and staffs out into other area thereby reducing the size of
the central security team?

Cordially,

Paul Howell
Chief Information Technology Security Officer
The University of Michigan
(O) 734-763-0609
(C) 734-996-8008