Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: High-Volume Portable/External and Encrypted Drives

From: "Flynn, Gerald" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 14:44:23 -0500

We installed Truecrypt on external 500GB drives for one
particular department where we found a lot of this going
on. They're happy with the performance even with what
they describe as heavy Access database work. But if we
had to do it over, we'd probably look into buying drives
with built in, OS independent, encryption.

Here are a couple reviews I saved:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_lenovo_thinkpad_usb
http://www.pcworld.com/article/158775/encrypted_drives_keep_your_files_safe.html