Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Internet Content Caching Devices

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 23:38:55 -0500

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:24:03 PST, Joe St Sauver said:

#As far as I know, nobody's making a content caching appliance that will
#cache P2P traffic, so this will probably reduce the effectiveness of
#a cache.  If somebody knows of a P2P-aware cache, feel free to enlighten me.

See http://www.peerapp.com/

Consider me (somewhat) enlightened. Thanks Joe.  Looks like a pretty versatile
unit, it knows about a lot of stuff:

Supported Protocols
    * HTTP progressive download video services: YouTube, Dailymotion, Veoh
    * HTTP software update services: Microsoft Windows Update, Adobe Acrobat update, antivirus and gaming updates
    * Web-based file sharing services: RapidShare, MegaUpload
    * Generic HTTP file downloads
    * Open P2P: BitTorrent, E-Donkey, Gnutella, Ares, FastTrack and Kazaa
    * Commercial P2P: Pando

They claim the UltraBand 1000 can be configured with up to 36TB of storage -
apparently getting a really good hit ratio on those large P2P objects requires
just a tad more storage than your usual Akamai node that's only serving up
mostly HTTP. ;)

Any idea what size network pipe it can handle?  We've seen a lot of different
products that have to work in-band and their salescritters turn pale in the
face and get very quiet if we ask them about handling 10GigE at line rate. ;)