Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network IPS Information Security Policy

From: Pete Hickey <pete () SHADOWS UOTTAWA CA>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:57:44 -0500

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 01:01:38PM -0600, Willis Marti wrote:
randy marchany wrote:
This is an interesting thread and I have another question to ask. Given
the nature of IPS and it's ability to basically read any email, chat, or
any data sent through the wire, how are institutions dealing with the
potential public relations nightmare of explaining to your constituents
that this device and its keepers have that ability?

The issue occurs in other situations besides an IPS.

Yeah.  The most obvious spam filters.  In a confidientiality agreement
with some external group we specified that we would not read their
mail, however automated filters, intented to maintain the integrity
of our system may read it.

--
Pete Hickey
The University of Ottawa             There are 10 kinds of people in the world: