Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: e-discovery with Google Apps?

From: Matthew Wollenweber <mjw () CYBERWART COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:01:21 -0500

I'm curious if you've ever actually tried to perform discovery. It
presents an interesting question given that Google likely has a legal
relationship with both the end user (email account holder) and the
University. I'm curious if you have to formally serve them with a
subpoena. Does a University network admin technically have ISP
monitoring powers for a hosted email service? Do any of Google's end
user privacy protections exclude the University?