Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Removal of Admin Access on PCs

From: "Stanclift, Michael" <michael.stanclift () ROCKHURST EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:41:55 -0500

Board up the windows to your offices, lift up the draw bridge, make sure the moat is sufficiently stocked with
alligators and then blast out a campus wide email.

In all seriousness, we removed local administrator access about three years ago and while it was difficult at first, it
gets easier over time. We have a process of approving software installs now that the faculty is pretty familiar with
and we try and give them a quick turn around on submission-approval-install. Our view tends to be that if they have a
obvious or compelling academic need for something there is little we can do to stop it, unless there is an obvious or
compelling security or legal reason for us to deny it.

Michael Stanclift
Network Analyst
Rockhurst University

http://help.rockhurst.edu<http://help.rockhurst.edu/>