Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

National Cyber Security Awareness Month

From: Marianne Coyle <mcoyle () OIT RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:01:15 -0400

Happy Wednesday!

It's still National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM), and you still have some time to get noticed!

This is the perfect opportunity to make a difference.  Only you know your audience, and there are lots of ways to make
your point.

Here's a link to President Obama's video for National Cyber Security Awareness Month as well as a nice link for
specific cyber security you can share.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Protecting-yourself-online/

The Rutgers University celebration on National Cyber Security Awareness Month includes:
*  An interview on RU-tv's "Wake Up, Rutgers!" on October 1 to kick off the month
*  IT Security Posters in dorms and computer labs
*  IT Security Postcards sent to faculty/staff and put in students mailboxes (2 per semester) reminding them of best
practices
*  Two (Rutgers) IT Security videos  and a Public Service Announcement which are being aired on RU-tv and our website
(rusecure.rutgers.edu)--check them out, the PSA opens our website for the month.
*  A daily blog of tips and suggestions for the month of October
*  MS-ISAC's daily tips on our website
*  Red Bags for our student staff (red with white lettering with our URL) to use while going around campus.
   They're shaped to hold books and papers rather than grocery items.  We consider them our billboards.
*  We're also able to say...Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Keep IT Security on the front lines of communication and media.  What your users don't know can hurt them!

Best wishes and have a great week!

Marianne

Suggested EDUCAUSE resources:

Resource Kit for National Cyber Security Awareness Month
<https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/itsg2/NCSAM+Resource+Kit>
Sample Kit for National Cyber Security Awareness Month
<https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/itsg2/NCSAM+Sample+Kit>
Computer Security Awareness Poster & Video Contest 2009 Winners (http://www.educause.edu/SecurityVideoContest2009)
Cybersecurity Awareness Resource Library (http://www.educause.edu/SecurityVideoContest2009)

NCSA also has a new website <http://www.staysafeonline.org/ncsam> with:

Endorsement Forms: Institutions can show their commitment to cyber security by endorsing October 2009 as National Cyber
Security Awareness month. The endorsement form can be completed online.
Customizable Posters: For the first time, there is a special poster for the month that is customizable with a logo or a
message to help promote local activities.
A Wide Variety of Media Tools: Other information and resources include Web banners, brochures, and safety tips.
As always all NCSA materials and endorsements are free. Materials have been designed for easy to downloading and
repurposing. Contact NCSA <info () staysafeonline org> if you need graphic files suitable for printing.

Marianne Coyle
Awareness and Training Working Group
EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Higher Education Information Security Council

Project Manager
Rutgers University
Office of Information Technology
Information Protection & Security